Skip to content

A message from the firm about COVID-19: Click Here

BBS 15 Year Logo

Call for Free Consultation


Home / Personal Injury / Car Accidents / UM / UIM Claims
Hartfort Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Claims Attorneys

Hartford Auto Accident and Insurance Claim Lawyers

Lawyers in Hartford & Manchester handling uninsured/underinsured car accident claims

We carry car insurance on our vehicles so if we have an accident, our insurance companies can offer settlements to anyone involved who suffered injury or damage to his or her vehicle or property. Insurance can also cover damage to our own vehicles, depending on our policies. However, we don’t carry insurance for convenience. We carry it here in Connecticut because it’s state law.

Unfortunately, some irresponsible drivers operate their vehicles anyway, with no or little insurance. If you end up in an accident with uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured (UIM) motorist, you may be concerned about how you’ll be compensated for your injuries and damages. And for good reason – serious car accident injuries can run up devastating medical bills.

At Barry, Barall & Spinella, LLC, our Hartford personal injury attorneys help victims of car accidents seek compensation for their injuries. We work with the insurance company so you don’t have to, negotiating for a fair settlement for your damages. Contact us today to set up a consultation.

Required auto insurance coverage in CT

Connecticut state law requires all motor vehicles to have insurance, and sets minimum coverage amounts:

  • Liability insurance. A minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $25,000 per accident for property damage
  • UM/UIM insurance. A minimum of $25,000 person and $50,000 per accident

It’s crucial to note that these minimum amounts typically aren’t enough to compensate victims of serious auto accidents. Medical treatments, hospital bills, and other expenses can easily run into hundreds of thousands of dollars in only a few months, without yet accounting for lost wages and future expenses. When purchasing a Hartford auto insurance policy, consider one with coverage higher than the minimum amount.


Extremely Grateful
"I had the pleasure of working with Anthony Spinella on an unfortunate criminal matter and am extremely grateful for the prearrest and pretrial defense. Thanks to Attorney Spinella, I was granted AR."

Nicky M.

Professionally Compassionate
"I also wanted to share how impressed I was with Briana. She is professionally compassionate and has been an amazing resource with putting my mind at ease during such stressful times."

Nicky M.

Why do I need uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

The reason we advise carrying higher than the minimum amount of UM/UIM coverage is because, although it is the law, not every driver on our roads and highway carries auto insurance at all. If they do, he or she may not carry enough to compensate you in the event of a major accident. If this does end up happening to you or a loved one, your UM/UIM insurance is designed to protect you.

When you’re involved in an accident with a driver who’s uninsured – or perhaps you were the victim of a hit-and-run – you can call on your own insurance to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. Without proper UM/UIM coverage, you may be forced to pay for all of these bills out of pocket, or to file a personal injury claim against the other driver. These types of cases can be challenging and difficult, as the other driver has already demonstrated she has little to no insurance or resources. However, the attorneys at Barry, Barall & Spinella, LLC are prepared to offer informed and experienced guidance to help you navigate insurance complications.

Remember – the most important thing you’ll need for any accident insurance claim is a police report. Ensure you contact the police as soon as possible after an accident.

How does uninsured motorist coverage work?

If you’re in an accident or a hit-and-run and the responsible driver doesn’t have insurance coverage, your UM insurance is there to compensate you for injuries, losses, and damages you suffer as a result. The collision coverage on your policy should cover damage to your vehicle and property.

For example, a driver runs a red light and collides with your vehicle at an intersection, severely injuring your leg. Your doctor recommends reconstructive surgery. The at-fault driver has no auto insurance coverage. However, your UM coverage is $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident. Although the other driver had zero insurance, you can collect $100,000 from your own insurance policy.

How does underinsured motorist coverage work?

With an underinsured motorist (UIM), on the other hand, you must first exhaust his or her insurance coverage for compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses. Then, you can call on your own UIM coverage for compensation for additional expenses.

In the event that the negligent driver does have car insurance, but only the state minimum of $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident, your UIM coverage, however, is $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident. This means that after you collect the full $25,000 from the underinsured driver, your UIM insurance kicks in to round out the remaining $75,000 for a total of $100,000 in coverage.

If your insurance company denies your Hartford UM/UIM accident claim

Unfortunately, just because you have insurance doesn’t mean your insurance company will easily pay out your claim. Many companies are reluctant to pay out the money they owe, and will search for loopholes or attempt to assign negligence to you in order to avoid paying your claim.

At Barry, Barall & Spinella, LLC, our car accident lawyers have years of experience working with insurance companies on behalf of victims. We study and analyze your insurance policy to understand the details of your UM/UIM claim, and we will ensure that your insurance company treats you fairly. We fight for the compensation you deserve.

Aggressive Hartford car accident and insurance claim lawyers

The UI/UIM accident attorneys at Barry, Barall & Spinella, LLC are well-versed in auto insurance claims. If you were injured in a collision or accident with and uninsured or underinsured driver, talk to our legal team. We offer experienced guidance and work to secure you the best possible outcome for your claim. Call us today. We’re located minutes off I-384 in Manchester. To schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers in Hartford or Manchester, please call 860-649-4400 or fill out our contact form.

Text Us860-649-4400